Dampp Chaser and Drills

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks@yahoo.com
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:57:56 -0800 (PST)

Just a quickie...

When you install the dampp-chaser systems, do y'all just bust out an electric drill in front of the customer and begin?  Does the customer ever question, or get irate, when ya start drilling in their piano??  Or do you not use a drill?

Matthew

Nichols <nicho@zianet.com> wrote:
Keith,

Ingenuity is often tied to budget. That repair didn't require removal
of the action. A regular damper repair spring might not have, either, but
would have been a booger with the action in place.
I had a reallllly cheap once-every-five-year-kinda customer with a
couple of broken spinet bass damper springs that said she'd just live with
the ringing. I didn't want to justify her cheapness (not poor...... just
cheap) by doing a "freebie", so I stretched a rubber band across from the
neighbors' levers, right at the top of the wood. With the two strands
firmly behind (towards the player) the wire of the sick dampers, they sorta
worked! 30 seconds, more-or-less, and she still wanted a discount due to
the pianos' size.
Takes all kinds. Keeps us in the game, no?

later,
Guy

At 08:22 PM 12/3/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>List,
>
>Here is an interesting fix on this Gulbransen spinet.
>
>Instead of using this Repair Damper Spring at the damper flange where it
>was designed to go, some person just attached it to the damper stop rail
>instead.
>
>The ingenuity of some folks never ceases.
>
>Keith
>--
>Keith McGavern
>Registered Piano Technician
>Oklahoma Chapter 731
>Piano Technicians Guild
>USA

"Not everything that counts can be counted,
and not everything that can be counted counts."
Albert Einstein

Matthew Todd
Todd Piano Works
Piano Tuner/Technician