Dampp Chaser and Drills

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Sat, 4 Dec 2004 11:00:10 -0500

I think it's important to show the customer what you're going to do =
before you touch anything.  There's a lot of flexibility in the DC =
installation; let the customer decide which side the lights go on, and =
so forth.  Some customers may prefer the power cord coming out the top =
of an upright's kneeboard (which I think looks ugly), rather than =
drilling through the bottom of it.  If you need to drill, show them =
where and why, and make clear this is a small cost for the benefit of =
preserving the important parts of the piano.

I had to use a drill on an upright this week for the watering tube.  The =
bottom panel on the U-3 fit very nice and tight all around.  I had to =
remove a half-inch square at the upper corner.  I removed the panel to =
do it (which should be less traumatic for the customer), and then =
colored in the cut area with a felt tip pen so that it doesn't look so =
"raw".

I didn't need any screw starters; the screws went right in with the hex =
driver.

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Michael Spalding=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 10:25 AM
  Subject: RE: Dampp Chaser and Drills

  Matthew,

  I see someone else has already answered regarding screw starters.  I =
assumed you were referring to routing the power cord for vertical =
installations.  I always offer the client a choice of running it out =
through the gap between the knee-board and keybed, or drilling a hole in =
the lower-right corner of the soundboard.  I've never had anyone opt for =
the knee-board route.

  Mike