Dampp Chaser and Drills

Richard Cromwell rcromwell1@msn.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 01:10:44 -0500

Like many others involved in this forum, I install a lot of Dampp-Chasers I
recently started using a Dewalt Cordless screwdriver with a hex driver to
assist in installations(When you install more than one grand system ins a
day, it is a real wrist saver).

The simple fact of the matter is that pianos are often quite a bit tougher
than their owners give them credit for.  They would be amazed at the noise,
tools, as well as unorthodox positions that we routinely put pianos in
during rebuilding and construction operations.

The simple fact is that a client has to trust you with their piano, and if
they ever have questions or concerns about what you are doing, you must be
prepared to explain to them why you have chosen a particular course of
action and the subsequent ramifications effectively in order to build that
trust.

When it is necessary to use power tools on my client's pianos I use them.
If it concerns them, then the bond of trust between us regarding the care of
their instrument is not strong enough, and I must work harder to strengthen
it.  But I won't stop using any tool when I need to, because the truth of
the matter is; I know what is best for their piano better than they do...
that is precisely why they pay me for my time.

R.Cromwell
Chptr 481