damper problem solution:stupidity, in part

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 09:57:21 EST

List

Turns out that the problem wasn't one single glaring mistake, but rather a
combination of little things   that added up to less than satisfying results.

Went back yesterday to find that the after-ring had diminished, somewhat.
As I suspected/hoped, the damper felts seated themselves to the strings on
their own over the course of the week.   There was still some after-ringing,
though, so I set about to check a few of the things that were suggested to me.

1. There was some ringing of the non-speaking portions of the bass strings,
so I muted them with felt.
2. There were two bass dampers that had become glued together, and thus were
not damping their strings as effectively as they should, resulting in a high
overtone-y ring.
3. There was one tenor bichord damper that wasn't centered well enough,
leaving the right string to create some after-ring.
4. But the biggest improvement came after I did something that no one
suggested, other than myself when I subtitled my post "probably just stupidity on my
part": I hadn't tightened the action bracket screws into the plate quite all
the way!   The screws were hand-tight, but I was able to force the bracket
closer to the plate with a little hammering and I found I could put another turn
or TWO into the right action bracket.   Although this bracket was farthest from
the dampers, it did make a difference.

I'll have to file this one under: D'oh!

BTW, the customer was satisfied with the new dampers even before I made any
improvements.   Now, however, I, am satisfied with the results and would like
to thank everone who contributed.

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG Associate