Hole in Soundboard for Damp Chaser cord

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:06:58 -0500

Use a spade bit instead. Start it on one side and finish on the other. Zero
tear out and no second person needed.

I see no down side to drilling through the SB. But I usually route them out
the top under the lid to the back if there is clearance. Otherwise I usually
bring them out the top of the knee board. Nobody complains.

I also use my cordless drill whenever I want and never ask permission or
explain what I am doing. I don't for any other tool I use, why should I for
a cordless drill? It's just a tool. Why would a customer be upset at using
it?

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 4:38 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Hole in Soundboard for Damp Chaser cord

  All
 Perhaps I missed some o dis but many uprights have cut-offs behind which
are coverd with spruce but that are no longer  resonating members of the
board period. They are dust or rodent barries but have ZERO to do with any
thing else.
    It does no harm to drill neatly thru this area. I've done it often with
a forstner bit while some one else (sometimes the client) holds a backing
block to reduce tear out.
 My, we do like to split hairs in this biz.
   Dale Erwin
Good grief, if you have to put a hole for the cord, put it down through the
bottom (just put something under there to protect the floor).  Why would
anyone want to drill through a sound-board?  I have routed over the
knee-board when I wasn't carrying a drill (out of town).  They want me to
come back and drill a hole in the bottom and I will in time.

Andrew A.