August Forester Grand

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 22:40:33 +0100

Hmm.... August Foresters.... what shall one say.

Ok... they have a nice big sound,... solid sound really. Big booming
bass, reasonably good balance and good sustain. All in all one of the
better of the old eastern european makes. Actions had a problem tho.
They used a lot of plastic parts through the years, mostly flanges in
both grands and uprights and damper arms in uprights.  The centers
tended to freeze up after some years use, and the bushings always showed
signs of being treated with some kind of a chemical... perhaps some kind
of lubricant. In anycase I've had to completly repin at least 50 of
these over the years, and I am by no means the only one who has had the
pleasure.  Often enough on the grands you will find loose tuning pins in
the very low bass. Never could figure out why really, but I would find
the lowest 8 -10 notes very badly affected while the rest of the tuning
pins remained tight as you could ever want them.

Ok.. so nothing is perfect. All in all an ok piano that can be made to
play and sound really nice actually. Massive and heavy are words that
come to mind. But I always kind of liked them.

Hope this helps

RicB