Regulating A Square Grand

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:50:08 -0600

Workbenches, bonfires, boat anchors.  Get real guys.  A square grand is a
fine piano when restored.  If you ever see one that has been restored, you
will be forced to agree. You have probably never seen one, have you?   The
design of the thing is more problematic than modern pianos.  The soundboard
is not glued down to heavy timbers on all sides like modern pianos.  This
weakens the whole thing and limits its useful life without restoration.

The square often has bass strings only a few inches shorter than a modern
concert grand so they really have a huge bass coupled with a tinkly Mozart
style treble.

The square is more work to regulate but it can be done.  There is a lot more
shoving in and out of the action  but it is so worth it.

I am now working on four of them.  I have had hammer butts made for squares
and if anyone needs new hammer butts, they are now available from me at my
website.

Go ahead and torch the old things-- gut them, submerge them.  That just made
mine worth more money.  I can realistically see the day when a well restored
square grand piano will have a market value in the six digit figures.  You
want to keep torching them?  Fine!

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com <http://www.thepianoworld.com>

Put the worlds greatest healer to work for WHATEVER health problem you may
have----YOUR OWN IMMUNE SYSTEM.  Your body is capable of healing EVERY
disease if you give it the right fuel.  Visit
http://www.mannapages.com/dlbullock to learn how to get the right fuel.
Also www.glycoscience.org <http://www.glycoscience.org/>