Pulling Plates

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:05:43 -0500

RC

I suspect those rafters are much stronger than you are giving them credit
for. If they’ll support 3-4 inches of snow they will surely support a 400 lb
casting. Would they support you doing a chin up? How about 2 or 3 men
simultaneously doing chin ups? That’s all the weight you are asking them to
hold up for an average piano.

I don’t know what kind of span you are looking at, but you could probably
throw up some more 2x4s and build some pretty sturdy trusses for well under
$50.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 2:25 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Pulling Plates

R.Cromwell said: "While I am familiar with using a hoist attached to steel
rafters as one
method of removing a plate from a grand piano, has anyone tried using an
engine crane to achieve the same goal?  Is it feasible or am I crazy - or
both?

Gazing doubtfully at a poorly supported ancient wooden rafter,"

R.C.,
I've used a "cherry picker", (the collapsible type), a couple of times, when
doing work in another techs shop that didn't have a winch, etc. Worked just
fine. They can be rented and are not that difficult to use/set up.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I