1865 Style 2 S&S

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:47:57 EST

Nice to see your post Del & Sorry for the  duplicate incomplete post.
Computer error. uh huh
    Its' been long enough ago that the 50 mm  length quote for A-85 is
probably wrong. Without checking to back up my  memory It seems A-85 was approx. 46
mm, very short.
  & yes the sound is awesome on some of these ...well  for antiques. Really,
it sounded better than many Fortes on the market as you  say. To bad the guy
didn't play.........his friends do.
  Dale

In a do over  I'd rescale it for  A-440
    That being  said at A -458 the piano sound amazingly good & easy to hear
why Stwy so  quickly gained its tonal reputuaion but I'm sure A-458 would be
disconcerting to any serious players sense of pitch & a singers vocal  range.
Arrghh.
   Dale

That is some shorter than the one we did a while  back. Originally A-85 was
around 54 mm. We made a new SLog bridge and set A-85  to 62 mm. With #13 wire
the tension was around 163 lbs. This dropped slightly  toward the tenor where
we held tensions to the 150 to 155 lb. range. With a  transition bridge at the
low tenor and a matching bass scale the piano sounded  exceptionally nice. (I
have no idea how it sounded originally.)

We also scaled the soundboard and ribset to match the  scale.

And, since the original action was long gone by  the time the piano showed up
in our shop we fit a new Renner stack. It  was really a very nice pianoforte.
To my ear a nice improvement over the bulk  of the fortes on the market today.

I agree, though, there is probably not a huge market  for instruments of this
type today and more's the pity.

Del