Rebushing centers/mystery center pinning

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:57:17 -0600

Barbara & Don,
some more comments interposed.

Don wrote:

>Hi Barbara,
>
>It won't blow up. However CA glue is already a "wetting agent"--and I think
>that acetone sinks into felt pretty well too--so I don't quite see the
>point in the alcohol.

The only point I had in mind when I suggested this was that perhaps it
would be an effective wetting agent and allow the mixture to better
penetrate the bushing, possibly avoiding  the necessity of again pulling
the pin.  As I indicated in an earlier post , at the time I did this, I
went ahead and repinned, AGAIN, for third, or fourth time in some
instances.  It may be that using an even thinner mixture, applied
several times over ten or fifteen minutes might achieve the same
result.  This was what I was aiming for originally, but I went ahead and
removed the pin after trying a few using the 90/10 mix.

Any water in the alcohol would I think defeat its purpose, by inhibiting
a full infiltration into the felt of the CA,  but I am going to try one
tomorrow anyway, just to see.

>water in it--and water makes CA glue cure.

It does, and, I  read, I think here or in the Journal that CA actually
has some kind of inhibitor in it which  reduces its ability to take up
moisture:  as this leaves the glue moisture is taken up, a reaction
takes place and the material hardens.
Regards, Robin Hufford