Scorch mark on inside of kneeboard: DC heater bar?

Cy Shuster 741662027@theshusters.org
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:16:04 -0500

Same 1969 Samick upright, different strange item.  Opened the lower =
cabinet to check the bridges, and found a charred spot on the inside, =
about 1.5" diameter, about 8" below the top edge of the panel.  It was =
circular, with indications of heat rising upwards from it, and was =
absolutely charcoal in the center, burned in about 1/4" (I'm surprised =
it didn't show through the panel).

Hanging right across from it was a typical 25W shiny chrome pushpin DC =
bar, unplugged at the time.  This is the only conceivable source for =
heat coming from *inside* the piano -- yet why would it create such a =
small heat spot?  Do they get hot in one spot when they burn out, like a =
fuse, perhaps?  (I didn't check if the bar still works.)

That burn mark was very scary looking...

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV