Key bushing Removal: Addendum

Chris Gregg cdgregg@telus.net
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:36:11 -0700

I just tape the keys together with masking tape in sections and steam the
bushings out on the bench .  I usually put a piece of wood under the
balance rail holes so that the steam does not damage my bench.  Does a
great job of eliminating pulley keys.  I guess it is possible to size the
b/r hole after steaming, but I don't usually bother.  Once they go back on
the pin, things look after themselves.  What I have not tried yet are the
Spurlock sizing bushings for getting even sized mortises
http://www.spurlocktools.com/id19.htm  I still sometimes have trouble
getting the felt out from under the buttons on some sets of keys.  Seems
that the cloth is just clamped in there. Front rail bushings are usually a
snap.

Chris