Noisy Action troubleshooting

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:16:10 -0500

Thanks everyone for replies.
I checked this action briefly; didn't have time to take everything
apart...

There are a couple of different schools of thought amongst the techs at
this dealer.
One believes that the wippen flanges are pinned too loosely or are too
loose.
I had originally believed it was key bushings being excessively loose.
The key bushings are loose, but the noises are still there when you hold
the key still and 'bob' the wippen up from below.

The knuckles feel like rocks!  I tried to stick a voicing needle from
the side, into the felt under the buckskin...could barely get it in
there.
Any remedy other than replacing all the knuckles?
I lightly roughened a few with sand paper, and it did have some effect.
Although I don't really want to tear up buckskin on the whole action do
I?

Also tried some fabric softener on one, no immediate change, but maybe
when I see it again Monday.

It seems as if every surface that makes contact with a moving part is
too hard.
-Knuckles contacting tops of jacks on rebound
-Rep lever regulating screw contacting its (hard) rest felt
-Jack contacting its return cushion
-Hammer contacting hammer rest rail felt (this one actually uses
keyframe felt, woven/dense)
-Maybe even wippen cushion contacting capstan
    (on a hard blow, wouldn't the wippen actually separate from capstan,
although very briefly?  I suppose it depends on key weighting)

Anyway...what else can I do to these rock hard knuckles?

Thanks!

Brad Smith, RPT