Rebuild estimates/bridge pins

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 07:46:58 -0800

Then why do you call it an estimate?  You should call it a bid.  On my
"estimate" it states that the above is an estimate only and includes
only the work listed and doesn't include applicable sales tax.  Any
significant changes to the estimate are subject to written approval
(over 10%).  I think if one gets a "reputation" for exceeding estimates,
they are probably not that good at writing estimates and should attempt
to be more thorough.  If, however, I discover a bass bridge which needs
to be remade, rather than recapped, or a rim which is delaminating, or
any number of things that can be hidden from view prior to teardown, I
would not want to eat the additional cost because I was afraid of
developing a reputation.  The simple way to deal with it is just call
and let them know what you've found and what the additional cost will
be.  Or, simply charge the maximum to cover all possible contingencies.
The problem with that method is that it often puts the estimate very
high.  That can sometimes make the difference between getting the job
and not.  Though you might be in the position of refunding some money
when the job is done for things that might occur but didn't', something
tells me that most people would just present the original balance
due--call me cynical.  If you prepare people in advance that there are
sometimes things that only become apparent after the teardown is
complete, you won't have to make the choice between eating it and fear
of developing a reputation.  On a major job, taking the time to explain
what you are going to do and why will often put people at ease about
costs and the variability that exists between jobs.