New-ish Chickering Origins

Mike Bratcher MBratPianos@indy.rr.com
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:06:23 -0500

I think Baldwin was playing around with the idea of having Samick their =
mid price level grands.  I know they were in production, but none =
actually made it to our stores in Indy.  I think they were terminated =
quickly. =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Davis=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2004 4:12 PM
  Subject: New-ish Chickering Origins

  Yesterday I serviced a 5' 1" Chickering, Serial #841695. The number =
doesn't even come close to anything in my Pierce Atlas. The owner =
purchased the piano used in 1998. It looks to me to be Asian built.=20

  During its short life, it has managed to get tubby bass strings =
(picture an old upright with iron windings...) and corrosion on the =
plain strings. The customer would like to have it restrung. I'd like to =
know some history before providing the estimate.

  Any ideas?

  Dave Davis