broken tuning pin - conclusion

Ron & Lorene Shiflet rlshiflet@cableone.net
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:03:22 -0700

Well, I guess I spoke too soon.  I won the fight.  In a nutshell....when =
all else failes, get a bigger pair of vice grips.  Anyway, I had filed =
the 2 sides of the pin, hoping to get a wrench or tuning hammer on it.  =
I couldn't file straight and tapered enough to get it to work.  I wanted =
to use Vice Grips but due to the plate rise where the bass strings =
terminate, I couldn't come in with a sideways bite.  I opted for a bite =
from the top.  All it would do was bend them.  I even added a wrench to =
no avail.  I then grabbed the pin from the sides with the vice grips, =
raising them up just higher enough to clear the plate rise and I had =
them on the absolute tightest setting that I could get it on.  The pin =
bent from torque but finally budged just a hair.  Due to the other pins =
and strings, I couldn't get it any further.  Finally, I ended up =
unstrung the bass section and removing all of my new pins...darnit.  =
This enabled me to turn the pin   360  degrees without changing bites.  =
It finally came out. =20

Well, I won the fight with only a few plate scratches from filing.  I'll =
have to cover them tomorrow.    If  the pin hadn't left the 1/4 inch =
protruding above the plate, I don't know what I would have done.  I =
would think that anytime a pin breaks it will break at the hole, but =
frankly, I've had only 1 break and cannot speak from much experience.  =
Hopefully, I'll never go down that road again. =20

My computer and digital camera aren't speaking to each other now or I'd =
email some photos.  I'll see if I can borrow one.  This was a new =
experience for me. =20

Ron Shiflet