do not call list

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson0984@mchsi.com
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:41:49 -0600

The best way to check on this sort of misleading email is to simply Google
the subject. I found a number of URL's that discuss the problem this it is
causing by swelling the national do not call list.

Misleading e-mails swell do-not-call list
Bogus messages warn all cell-phone numbers will soon be turned over to
national telemarketers.

By Caroline E. Mayer / Washington Post

      Comment on this story
      Send this story to a friend
      Get Home Delivery

WASHINGTON -- The e-mails, often forwarded by friends, vary in wording, but
the underlying message is always ominous: Soon, all cell phone numbers will
be made public to telemarketing firms. That means, according to one version,
that "your cell phone may start ringing off the hook with telemarketers" and
your precious, limited cell phone minutes will be eaten up with calls you
don't want.

It's not clear where the e-mails originated, but industry and government
officials say they are an urban myth; they are not true. There is no list of
cell phone numbers being turned over to telemarketers, and telemarketers are
barred from calling cell phone numbers.

Richard Oliver Snelson