Help with "bad" tuning...need help

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:06:13 -0800

davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Doug Renz Piano Tuning
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 5:52 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Help with "bad" tuning...need help
=20
As a new piano tuner, I am learning a lot as I go and tune different
piano=92s and typically I am tuning the older piano=92s and some =
new/better
ones.  This past Sat. I tuned a piano for a home that had a console
that had never been tuned =91in a long time=92. I warned them that I =
might
break strings and that it will go out of tune quickly because of the
condition
of the strings and the piano itself. Well I was called back by
the customer saying =91the piano is still out of tune and you must not
have checked it before you left=92.  Before I left I told him, =91your =
piano
is most likely going to go flat somewhat because it has not been tuned
at all in such a long time (20+ yrs) and that it should tuned every 6
months. The
piano was old and recently had some action work, but the strings looked
old and dirty.  I was careful not to break any strings and when I left
it sounded
good and the funny thing was the customer said it sounded good after I
finished.
It was not that out of tune, A440 sounded like it was between g-sharp
and a, but
not an entire half/step off.
=20
So, what do I do now? Has anyone been in my shoes before? Go back and
do a =91free=92 fix it up tuning, or tell him, he has to pay for a 2nd
tuning. Is this
going to risk my reputation? He had the action done by another local PTG
member
and I am afraid that if I don=92t go back and =91fix=92 this, I am going =
get that
reputation and the other PTG member might tell others about the =91part
time=92 tooner,
which I do not want to be and this is why I joined the PTG, to get
better. Any
thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
=20
I thought the tuning was good, inspite of the condition of the piano and
the strings.
It sounded alot better, but I knew it was going to need another tuning
soon.
=20
Any advice, thoughts?
=20