CA'ing pins

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 16:15:00 -0500

*I haul the piano to my shop, tip it over on its back with a tilt truck,
usually drive the pins in (but not always), apply CA glue carefully around
the holes, then apply accelerator.  CA glue just doesn't seem to bond with
wood otherwise.

Why haul the piano in? Isn't it easier to take the tilter to the customer's
home? I find better results without using the accelerator, though it takes
several minutes for the CA to set up, maybe even a few hours. Of course in
AZ it would probably be longer due to the dryness so you may either need to
use accelerator or somehow get moisture into the block before gluing.
Remember, you are not bonding the pin to the wood. The CA is swelling the
wood and then setting it. You want to give the CA ample time to soak into
the wood and swell it before it sets.
Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272