Kawai Pin Blocks

Jeannie Grassi jcgrassi@earthlink.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 17:38:16 -0800

Ron,

Were these grey market Kawais?  I've found a couple of them with serious
problems, but never had a USA Kawai with any such problems.  There IS
difference.

=20

Jeannie Grassi, RPT

Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal

 <mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net> mailto:jcgrassi@earthlink.net

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On =
Behalf
Of Ron & Lorene Shiflet
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 5:31 PM
To: Piano-Tech
Subject: Kawai Pin Blocks

=20

List,

    Over the years, I've come across several Kawai's with bad pin =
blocks.
The worst one though, was several years ago at Western Iowa Tech.  We =
got in
a grand that needed a massive overhaul.  Loose pins were part of its =
many
problems.  When we pulled the pinblock, it looked aweful.  It appeared =
to be
made from some form of glorified cork.  A real spongy material.  The =
block
fitting to the plate was full of massive gaps. =20

    It is my personal opinion that Kawai's are mechanically one of the =
best
pianos on the market.  I don't feel the same way about them =
structurally.
I've had to reglue the sides back on one of their consoles, and I've =
seen
everything from bad pin blocks, to styrofoam cheekblocks, to cabinets =
that
were made from some form of material similar to masonite or cardboard.  =
I've
had enough surprises when disassembling them in regards to what I call
inferior manufactring materials that I've learned to distrust them.      =
 =20

    As for me, I'm not trying to take pot shots at one of the best =
companies
in the business as one writer stated.  Every piano has it's problems.  =
It's
just that as technicians, we pass around our experiences so that others =
can
benefit from them.   And...out of fairness to Kawai, we could submit any
piano brand and tell our war stories about what we've had to do to them. =
=20

=20

regards=20

=20