Scratched Yamaha CFIII Plate

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:52:50 -0800 (PST)

Hello Terry,

I can recommend (from my own experience) Ron's advice
under point 3.

If you find a removable part of the same color (e.g.
screw) and take it to a competent car paint shop (Du
Pont is a big name), they will get it matched really
well.  My local supplier will mix a pint for under
$30.  If you can find someone who is a pro with an
airbrush, you could have it sprayed, otherwise
magnifyibg glasses and a very fine brush may be
better.  I would opt for the fine sable brush option,
if possible.

Best luck and regards,

Vladan

Ron's advice:

(3) Remove one plate screw from the pinblock area (use
the right size slot
screwdriver because it's easy to slip and put in
another scratch ... it's
no problem for the plate to handle the removal of one
plate screw in this
area). Take this to an autobody shop that has the
equipment to scan the
color of the paint on the head of the screw to
accurately match it and ask
them to mix up a quantity for you. If you want to
price this out first of
all, we might be interested in purchasing a quantity
from you as we have a
similar vintage concert grand here for some technical
work. Although there
probably would be slight coloring differences between
that piano and the
one here, it sounds like a closer color match to your
customer's piano is
more important than ours... and so it would be best to
use that plate's
color for the sample.

Ron Giesbrecht,
Piano Service Manager,
YAMAHA CANADA MUSIC LTD.
135 Milner Ave., Scarborough, ON., M1S 3R1
TEL 416-298-1311 ext.2303
FAX 416-298-1262
E-mail: rgiesbrecht@yamaha.ca
Web: http://www.yamaha.ca