grand action problem

Scott Helms tuner@helmsmusic.net
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:28:11 -0500 (EST)

Hello -

I am regulating a 1984 6'9" Schimmel grand. It has a Renner action, and
the letoff buttons are the wooden dowel type which screw directly into the
underside of the hammer rail. My problem is that I can't get letoff close
enough to the string. The closest I can get it is about 7 mm, and that's
if the dowel is screwed all the way up against the bottom of the hammer
rail. I've checked and double-checked all of my string height
measurements, and it just won't work. I've only regulated about 10 or 15
actions, so I'm still learning, but the only way I can see to get the
buttons up higher would be to shim the entire hammer rail so it sits
higher than the action brackets would indicate it should. There's plenty
of room under the pinblock to take it as high as I need to, but I'm not
sure that this is the proper fix for the problem. I'm afraid a change in
hammer flange height might create checking problems or other regulation
issues. I probably would only need to raise the rail a few millimeters to
get the letoff I need, but why would this piano have come out of the
factory with such a huge geometry problem? Am I missing something? Is this
one of those "action spread problems" that I've heard about in Technical
Institute classes?
--
Scott A. Helms, RPT
Helms Music Enterprises