Kawai Pin Blocks

Don Mannino donmannino@comcast.net
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 22:29:34 -0800

Hi Ron,

Thanks for clarifying your points.  As you said, everyone has horror
stories about lots of piano, but making a few bad experiences into
generalities is where the problem arises, and is why so many have spoken up
against what you said.  I'd like to respond as well:

>     Over the years, I've come across several Kawai's with bad pin blocks.

Ok, I understand this.  Now, how many have you come across which were
fine?  Go back in your customer records and count up the Kawai pianos.  I
think you will find that the problem pianos are in the great minority - and
that, unless something is very unusual with your clientele, the proportion
will be essentially the same as with other quality brands.

>  The worst one though, was several years ago at Western Iowa Tech.  We
> got in a grand that needed a massive overhaul.  Loose pins were part of
> its many problems.  When we pulled the pinblock, it looked aweful.  It
> appeared to be made from some form of glorified cork.  A real spongy
> material.  The block fitting to the plate was full of massive gaps.

All Kawai pinblocks since at least the 70s have been made from Wisconsin
hard maple.  If this piano was prior to that, I can't say what it was -
except that calling it cork-like is an obvious exaggeration.  I have taken
apart Kawai pianos from the 60s, and the wood was fine - they repinned with
2/0  or 3/0 pins perfectly.  So again, a bad piano gave you a poor
impression, but there has to be more to this story.

I am surprised that you are not aware of the pinblock fitting in Kawai
pianos (also used by other well known brands).  These pianos are made with
rock maple pin bushings, with the bushings actually being plugs in the
plate holes which are drilled at the same time as the pinblock.  The tuning
pins therefore pivot on the plate webbing, and exert a backwards force on
the pinblock - towards the pianist, away from the plate flange.  When this
design is used, there is no reason to fit the pinblock, as long as the
bushings are hard enough wood.  Many technicians in the US have a very hard
time picturing this, because we were all brought up in the Steinway style
of construction, where the pin does not touch the plate (or should not, I
guess), so the plate is being pulled towards the flange and down.  In Kawai
pianos (as well as Yamaha), the pinblock is being pushed back.

Those who tune a lot of Kawai and Yamaha pianos will tell you that they are
as stable as any - as long as the bushings were made with good wood.  I
have heard about 1 piano made in the 70s where the grade of the wood in the
bushings apparently wasn't hard enough, and the pinblock moved.  But again
- I have only heard of this once, and although there are undoubtedly
others, condemning the brand because of the method of construction reflects
a lack of understanding.

I do think that your not realizing why the pinblocks have not been fit has
made you feel like the company just didn't know any better - which is a
natural conclusion giving the usual technician training.  I am guilty of
making the same mistake in the past, and when I first talked to one of the
(very well educated and experienced) Kawai engineers in Japan about it, the
concept was explained fully.  I was duly corrected and told him so - but I
told him they should still fit the pinblocks just to keep the technicians
happy :-)

A few years back Kawai America had a strung plate out of a Kawai grand
piano with pinblock attached (the piano had been dropped from the back of a
moving truck, so we were taking it apart).  We loosened the plate screws,
and sure enough the pinblock swung back, away from the flange just as the
engineer said it would.

>  I've had to reglue the sides back on one of their consoles,

Happens to every brand from time to time.  Literally.

>and I've seen everything from bad pin blocks, to styrofoam cheekblocks

Structural foam is not styrofoam, and the structural foam is not used in
cheekblocks, but in some music rack guide rails.   Kawai doesn't shy away
from using modern materials when they are beneficial.  Calling it styrofoam
reflects a bias that is coloring your opinions - I suspect that you know
what styrofoam actually looks like.

>, to cabinets that were made from some form of material similar to
>masonite or cardboard.

Almost every brand of pianos made today, with very few exceptions, makes
their lower cost upright piano cabinets with medium density fiberboard, or
MDF.   A lot of very expensive furniture uses it also.  When a piano like
this is dropped or submerged in water the stuff looks awful - like
cardboard.  It actually is very stable and nice to build things from,
though.   You will have to look long and hard to find upright piano
cabinets made with the kind of solid oak cores and super thick double
veneers that were used in years past.  Poplar cores and thin veneers are in
a few brands, laminated hardwoods is in others (including some Kawai
models), and MDF is in most.

I don't think that the objections you've received here on the list are
because you are sharing your experiences about problems with particular
pianos, but that you are condemning a brand in general because of those
experiences.  You need to realize that all of us tune these pianos
regularly, and saying that Kawai pinblocks will generally go bad in 10
years is telling hundreds of technicians something that they know from
experiences is not true - our collective experience does not support your
statement, so some have been kind enough (from Kawai's perspective) to say so.

I would like to mention that I have a Kawai model 600 grand at home that my
wife's family purchased new in 1968, making the piano well past your 10
year pinblock figure. :-)  It has been tuned regularly it's whole life, the
tuning pins are still tight, and it stays in tune incredibly well, in spite
of our daily playing (those who have heard me will tell you that I am not a
light player).  The pinblock does not touch the plate flange anywhere along
the width of the piano!  This is not an exceptional example - there are
thousands and thousands of similar pianos out there in use.

Thanks for giving this issue a little re-consideration, Ron.  I hope that
you get the chance to rebuild some more Kawai grands that don't give you
such a negative impression.

By the way, for those who are wondering, if you do replace the pinblock in
a Kawai, then I recommend that you go ahead and fit the block to the
flange, because duplicating the hard bushing / drilling procedure used in
the factory is not easy.  The replacement bushings are generally pretty
soft, and most rebuilders' shop procedures make pinblock-to-flange fitting
a standard operation anyway.

A last comment to all posters of this list, if I may.  One of the problems
with any of us posting strong negative comments on this list, whether about
people or about piano brands, is that these comments are very commonly
reprinted and mis-used.  It is very easy for a competing dealer to pull a
message like Ron's from the archives, print it out, and make photo copies
to show all of their customers as to why they should never buy a Kawai
piano.  Once a critical comment is written, whether it is accurate of not,
whether opinion or fact, it becomes a permanently archived nasty tool which
can be used against the target of the criticism.  I am sure that negative
posts like Ron's are very rarely done with intentional malice in mind - but
they are still used in very malicious ways, being posted as "a fact from
the PTG piano technician's list."  I have no doubt that Ron's post will be
returned to us at Kawai many times by Kawai dealers who get a copy from a
customer, who was given it by a competitor talking down Kawai.  It happens
every time a post like that is written.   This is why manufacturers cringe
at these kinds of public posts - no matter how they were intended, they are
almost always misused later, and it really is quite painful.

Don Mannino RPT
Kawai America Thought Police  :-)