grand action problem

Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:05:35 +0100

Lets requalifiy things here.... both Jons and my own <<advice>> on this
post were accompanied by cautions stateing the need for more hard
information on the actions condition. There is no way we can simply
suggest <<the solution>> to why  7mm of let off is as close as the
fellow can get. Ergo we simply offered food for thought, and suggested
things to look for, along with a call for a more thorough description of
the actions condition.

Raising the stack, the hammer rail, sanding or changing to shorter
regulating buttons, can all be appropriate, or <<disastrours>> depending
on the real situation. I wouldnt go raising the stack based on just the
<string height minus hammer bore> factor any more then I would without
further ado start altering the length of the letoff buttons.  Like I
said in my first post.... 7 mm is a mile away from the strings... well
half of checking distance.  Something is very wrong with an action that
cant get letoff closer to this, and the appropriate course to take is to
ascertain what the heck the problem is first... yes ?

Knowing Schimmel pianos as I do, I find the whole problem as described
quite suspicious to begin with, and I believe I made that point quite
clear. Schimmel doesnt make junk, and a Schimmel action which displays
this kind of a problem more then likely is either been tampered with, or
has suffered some kind of injury.

So... in lue of any more hard info about this actions condition...

Cheers
RicB