Cents: was help with bad tuning...

Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:14:35 +0100

David Ilvedson wrote:

>I don't know about you, but I pitch raise anything over 5 cents low.    2 passes with an extra charge for extra time and EFFORT.
>
>David I.
>

>--

Like I say... each of us find what way we feel works best of us.  I
handle any and all <<pitch raises>> the same way.  Any overpull is
limited to tuning the piano to 442, and in all cases I leave it at 440.
Any piano that is 100 cents, or some such gargantuan amount, away gets
an hour and a half session which will leave it stable at pitch, and a
flyer stating the need for a second tuning within a couple months for
the best long term results.  I personally do not find pianos can be
"finely" (by any definition of "fine" that I understand) tuned
simultaneously with such draconian pitch raises and make no pretentions
about being able to provide such a result. Dons recent posting on the
matter should make that pretty clear to most anyone. Don measures these
kinds of things like no one I know....and its hard to argue with those
kinds of numbers.

Since I charge for hour and a half visits to begin with, they get no
extra charge per se... only a note saying it will need more work in the
near future and should be in general taken better care of in the long term.

Cheers
RicB