Cents: was help with bad tuning...Ric B. Eastern Scale?

Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:28:39 +0100

Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 12/15/04 12:15:16 AM Pacific Standard Time,
> Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:
>

>> there are 12 (not 13) half steps to an
>> octave. A whole step is a whole tone of which there are 8 in an octave.
>

> Uhhh....Rick....I think there is something wrong with this one
> heah....Eight whole tones in an octave????  Wouldn't that equal 16
> semi-tones?  What far-eastern scale are you tuning?  INquiring minds
> want to know...
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist <G>

Grin.... Sorry, that should read 7 in all.  Made the same mistake as Don
did with his 1300 cents.

> There are six whole steps in an octave, not eight, but they are seldom
> consulted when tuning a piano and have nothing to do with a major or
> minor scale or mode.  The whole tone scale is reserved for 20th
> century composers, jazzers, and dream sequences in cheap movies.

6 steps doesnt finish the octave. 6 Different notes yes... but 7 to
complete the octave

> I think you're trying to point out that there are eight intervals in a
> diatonic scale, which can be configured in any mode you like, from
> Ionian, to Locrian (goes from B to B and is musically virtually
> worthless).

Nope... just counted the last note twice.

> In an octave, there is a chromatic scale, which is what we are dealing
> with most frequently as tuners.  Then there is the major scale, which
> (in C major) consists of whole step/whole step/ half step / whole
> steps three times / half step.  A mixed bag of major and minor
> seconds, whole tones and half tones.
>
> Ric, if you're a Tuna, you've been scaled <BIG G>,

hehe... I am scaled on a regular basis anyways... good for ones sense of
humility.

> Dave Stahl

Cheers, and thanks for spotting !

RicB