bobbling hammers on Yamaha upright (P-22)

Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:17:47 +0100

In my experience, bobbling hammers that <<wont regulate away>> in
uprights are almost exclusively either because of jack springs being too
strong or the stop rail being too close in.... mostly the former.  The
problem nearly always equates to the hammer butt bouncing off the top of
the jack... ergo the jack isnt getting out far enough to begin with,
and/or cant get easily pushed away by the butt as it follows the hammers
rebound off the strings.

The jack spring simply doesnt need to be any stronger then is neccessary
to get the jack quickly back into fireing position with usual centerpin
tolerances. Any stronger and it becomes an impediment to good touch.

Cheers
RicB