high to go over pitch

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 11:09:37 -0600

Peter,

At 06:49 AM 12/16/04, you wrote:
>to be more specific, I am not concerned at present with string breakage,
>just damage to the bass strings, or to the bridge, etc.
>
>with that in mind, is it safe for the strings re damage (loss of tone,
>damage to the wrap etc), bridge etc to be pulled 40 or 50 cents above
>normal pitch? 10 cents above?

I've had to tune quite a few times to A-442 (8c sharp) and then afterwards,
lower back to
A-440. Many orchestras around the world tune to 444 and even higher with no
apparent damage. Now whether that might contribute to "premature" string
breakage/damage, I'm not so sure. :-)

Because when first learning this business 25+ yrs. ago, I was taught that
it could contribute to premature loosening of the wrappings, I still tend
to overpull very little in the bass; usually none on the singles and just
slightly (a few beats) on the doubles and triples. I use an SAT III now,
especially on a pitch raise, so it's easy to gauge.

Except maybe on "extreme" raises, on most pianos I've also found that the
bass strings tend not to drop back quite as far as the plain, so usually
the second time around is just a more or less normal tuning for them.

>peter
>rpt

Avery