Unauthorized mis-quote

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:39:23 -0800

As some of you may know I wrote a short essay expressing some of my thoughts
on last year’s NAMM show for the Piano World web site. In this essay I made
some comments about the Perzina piano factory in Germany and the vertical
pianos now bearing the Perzina name but which are currently being
manufactured in China. Among other things I wrote:

  While these innovations are not new to the industry (both the Rippen
pianos and my own Fandrich 122 have similar construction) they are certainly
a step forward in vertical piano design — the bass performance of this piano
was clearly better than any other vertical piano of any size or price at the
show.

Over the past few days I have received several phone calls asking for some
elaboration of my “endorsement” of the Perzina pianos. At first this was
some puzzling because I have never allowed my name to be used to officially
endorse any piano. When my current issue of “Music Merchandise Review”
arrived last Friday all became clear. In a full page ad placed by Piano
Empire, Inc. for the Perzina pianos, I am quoted in large bold letters as
follows:

  They (Perzina) are certainly a step forward in vertical piano design — the
bass performance of this piano was clearly better than any other vertical
piano of any size or price at the show.

I now understand that this same ad will be appearing in the upcoming issue
of Music Trades magazine. As well the above quotation (in its altered form)
appears in brochures and/or other promotional literature published by this
company.

There is a subtle but distinct difference between what I wrote and what is
being quoted in this ad. In my essay I definitely did not endorse the
Perzina piano though the ad certainly makes it look as if I did. There is
clearly a difference between commending certain specific design ideas being
used in a particular piano and endorsing the whole piano.

For the record: I have not and do not endorse the Perzina pianos. I was not
contacted about the use of my name in this ad. It was done without my
knowledge or permission.

Del

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication