Will Wickham wwickham@stny.rr.com
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:55:29 -0500

Hi Hazen (and all!)

I've been a Mac user for my customer files for 11 years now. I started
with Claris Works in the early 90's (OS 7.?) and am now using the same
data base file in OSX (the software is now Apple Works). I don't use a
pocket PC. Up until a year ago I would print out all the records that I
needed for each day then update the file on the desk-top machine at
night. I thought it worked great. Then I managed to aquire a laptop
(OSX Jaguar). I bought a tool bag that holds the tools I use regularly
as well as the computer, so now it goes with me. Very handy!

Since this is the only customer file I've ever used (other than 3X5
index cards) I can't speak to how it compares to others. It is easily
searchable and sortable in many many ways. One of the features I like
best is that it allows me to cross reference by serial number when
tuning for a new customer. By doing this I have followed many
instruments through multiple owners. Two other major advantages are: 1)
Sending reminder cards when tunings are due (and when business gets a
bit slow) since it's easy to search by last tuning date. 2) When I have
a cancelled or missed appointment I can search to see who in the area
is due and make some phone calls to try to fill the time.

The disadvantages of the program are that I had to create the data base
fields myself (which is also somewhat of an advantage because I set it
up how I wanted it and over the years it has changed as I discovered
ways to make it work better) and with Apple Works the amount of data
that can be entered into any field is somewhat limited.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me
privately if you'd like. With the Christmas rush almost over, I'll soon
have more time to type!

will wickham