Schaff longer new upright spring!

Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:18:32 +0100

Hi Julia

I was refering to the center pin for the jack.

My point is, that the jack only needs to get back under the butt
reasonably quickly to do its job. A moderate tensioned spring, and a
normal friction toleranced center pin will accomplish that nicely.
Stronger then necessary springs do not really accomplish anything
positive at all.  Overly loose center pins are not a good thing either
for obvious reasons. (they can fall out... hang up on neighbors.. etc)

If the jack puts up too much resistance to being moved out from under
the butt, then bobbling occurs.  This can either be due to too strong a
spring tension, or too tight a center pin... or both.

So.... in attempt to keep centers reasonably firm, sometimes these same
end up too slow on the return... so you see some techs and manufacturers
employing fairly strong springs to insure fast return. Unfortunatly you
run into the bobbling problem if one goes too far in that direction.
Some Yamaha models (and they are by no means alone) seem to be perenial
borderline cases in this regard, which is what that related thread I
refered to in my last post was about.

If the springs on your Jansen are in good condition,,, why change them ?
   Check the jack center pins to 3-4 grams of friction and for firmness
to be sure.

Cheers
RicB