shop tip trivia--trimming shanks

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:29:24 EST

Hey guys
  I've tried several ways of trimming the long ends of  new shanks. For years
I'd clamp a section O shanks in a jaras or spurlock clamp  & then cut with a
small back saw. The set up got to be tedious recently  & frankly the procedure
isn't fool proof so I have started using the new  pianotek center pin cutters
which are nicely made which cut cleanly  enough to avoid tear out of any wood
that protrudes into the shank hole. What  little is left I remove by propping
the shanks up on a straight edge,  placing the action right out on the edge
of my bench & removing the  remainder with a 3" by 18 inch belt sander with 120
ish paper. I use just the  front roller primarily. It's an easy process & it
also cleans up any minor  imperfections in hammer tail line. The tails are
lightly roughed as well. I  don't like tails very  roughened but it seems to help
the intial seating of  the tail in new check leather.
 It's important to screw the stack down to the bench for  safety before
sanding so it doesn't flop on the floor. DAMHIK cause I  haven't done it Safety
first ya know.
 What do other do?
   Merry Christmas
   Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com