Which Whippen?

Arlie Rauch adarpub@midrivers.com
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 07:43:58 -0700

Yesterday I serviced a Gulbransen studio piano at an Elk's Club.  The
bottom two keys had been blocked off because the whippens were gone,
perhaps borrowed for another position in the piano.  The only whippens
I had that came close were the Schaff upright #523 1/2.  But even those
were not perfect.

I had to screw the capstans down as far as they would go.  Then I had
to replace the felt on the bottom of the whippen with much thinner
felt, and finally with some regulation they worked.

I don't see any whippen specifically for studio size pianos.  Any
advice?

Arlie Rauch
Glendive, MT