Relying on tools versus feel (was Re: torque

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 17:39:02 -0600

At 11:57 PM +0100 12/18/04, Richard Brekne wrote:
Keith McGavern wrote:
>>I am not sure at all you need the equivalant of a swing test, or a
>>friction gauge, or any other such exacting test to get jack centers
>>to conform to an acceptable tolerance here.
>>
>>Sorry, Richard, discarding the need for specific tools to perform
>>certain tasks cannot be discounted. Gram measuring and weighing
>>devices are terrific instruments and serve to demonstrate some
>>significant differences between what is perceived and what is
>>actual.
>
>Nobody discounted them Keith... I simply pointed out that in the
>actual daily dailies of everyday piano work it is hardly necessary
>to whip out some measureing device to insure so and so many this and
>thats when the job at hand can be performed much more quickly and
>well within acceptable tolerances by developing a sense of feel.
>The swing  test is one such example, the Steinway friction test is
>another, moving the center in and out of each bushing in a flange is
>another. Setting lettoff and drop by eye instead of a measureing
>stick is yet another.  These kinds of things are done very
>successfully all the time. In fact, a very good case can be made for
>the preferablity of doing things this way.

These comments are fine and well.

>>Granted some folks are able to discern feel, but that's only some,
>>and only after a great deal of concentrated activity in the field
>>ascribed, and sometimes only with tutorage, which you know, and
>>anybody who has been paying attention to your posts, have had
>>plenty of.
>
>I really rather think that just about anyone can develop their sense
>of touch or feel if they put themselves to the task.  Sure you need
>references be they in the form of measuring devices or instruction
>or whathave you... but there is no real point in walking around with
>a measuring stick in your pocket the rest of your life when you can
>achieve the same job (or better) within a fraction of the time by
>developing ones sense of feel, or ones eyeball as it were.

Your qualifier: " ... when you can achieve the same job (or better) ..."

And I commented that not everyone on the list arrives at this place,
and not everyone has had the extensive tutorage you have had which
has helped you to arrive at such a place. And not everyone will.

>>I find it very helpful to verify these tools against my perceptions
>>from time to time to insure I am staying on track, and I'm positive
>>I am not alone in this.
>
>I believe that this was my very point... time to time is one thing.

I didn't see that as your point at all, though you are making it now.

>Total reliance on tools is another yes ?

Certain aspects of the job require total reliance on tools for my
part. Some aspects of the job I have learned are only through
extensive learning experiences with PTG members, academic readings,
on hands training, trial & error, verifications, etc.

And yes, a feel has been developed for some parts of the job, but
only as a result of tutorage and association with others who have
already walked the path.

I, therefore, restate, "Not everyone on the list arrives at this
place, and not everyone has had the extensive tutorage you have had
which has helped you to feel you have arrived at such a place. And
not everyone will."

It is possible, of course, but not likely.

Keith
--
Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician