Noisy Jacks

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:26:41 -0700

Ment to say about 1/8"
Joe Goss RPT
Mother Goose Tools
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: tom driscoll=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 9:49 AM
  Subject: Re: Noisy Jacks

      Tom,=20

      thanks for the advice about transporting. =20

      As far as the jacks go, they click when the key is depressed. As =
best as i remember, they click almost at the moment the jack toe bumps =
in the letoff button.  =20
      One other thing that i forgot to mention, and this may be =
significant:

      I had somewhat of a difficult time fitting the action into its =
supports properly. Everytime i thought i had it in, several of the keys =
wouldn't go down at all.  But finally when i thought it was locked into =
place, which is when i began checking notes and hearing clicks.  The =
other problem now, however, is that there's suddenly a whole lot of lost =
motion, across the length of the action.  Almost every note has 1/32 or =
so of a gap between the butt and jack.  So, either i didn't notice this =
before (this is a friend's never-used piano, by the way), or i didn't =
quite return the action properly.  Could this have affected the let-off =
rail forks?=20

      Scott
         =20
      Scott,
          1/32 lost motion is not a lot.
           I would take all the keys out ,then fit the action to the =
supports . Check that all the brackets are touching the supports and =
that the strike point on #88 seems correct.This action should fit =
without trouble.
           The jack noise and action fit may not be related, but take =
one problem at a time , that is check the let-off rail, fit the action =
correctly ,install the keys, adjust L.M. etc. =20
          I bet the problem(s) will jump right out at you.
          Tom Driscoll