established memory

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:10:04 +0100

Thanks for the comments Stéphane. You strike at an important point here.

Stéphane Collin wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Again opposition between rational and intuitive cognition.
> Those who believe in nothing else than what was scientifically (thus
> rationally) proved, in my eyes, restrict their world to the (for me)
> less important section.  This is because of intinseque limitations of
> rational thinking, cheapness of rational knowledge, etc.
> Those who give more trust in their intuitive data are stuck when it
> comes to sharing it, and are never sure of what they say, even if what
> they eventually say could be far more deep penetrating than what the
> others hold for sure.  But indeed, in those waters, nothing is clear.
>
> Again, Ric, you prove to travel easily from one to the other.

To the degree this is true, it's because I dont see any real neccessary
conflict or opposition between the two perspectives. Opposition only
occurs when we decide to choose between these two, and rule out the
other.  The desire to quantify that which we sense is of course
understandable and valuable, but quantification is only an aid... a
tool. It is not an end in itself. Nor is it possible to quantify more
then a fraction of what we should have to in order that we should
adequately be capable of describing thus even such a <<simple>>
construct as the piano.

We simply have to face the fact that we are able to observe much that we
have not the ability to describe in scientific terms. Thereby arise more
descriptive, pictorial terminology because tho we may not be able to
explain a thing, we certainly can put a word on it.  Sure these can turn
into all manner of strange <<truths>> and cause all manner of
confusion... but such is the way of things. Getting at the truth behind
such descriptors is a far better persuit then laughing them off out of
hand. That road leads to at least as serious a pitfall as the former..
namely believing that something is simply not worth considereing unless
it is quantifiable.

It should be well worth remembering in this consideration that the most
highly praised musical instruments (by the musicians who play them) have
been made with rather more weight placed on the intuitive then many
would like to admit.

Cheers
RicB