Steinway Agraffes

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:06:35 EST

<<   I have a broken agraffe on a 1925 Steinway L to replace and I need to
know if I need a 7/32" agraffe or 1/4" agraffe.  Steinway lists agraffes for all
models as 1/4" on their parts price list.  Someone on this list said this
piano needs a 7/32", so I am not sure which one to get.  Could someone clear up
my confusion? >>

  Greetings,
   That will be a 7/32" thread.  Be warned,  for some obscure reason, modern
agraffes of this dimension are not cut to the full .218" thread.  I don't know
why this is so, but last year, I had an impossible time finding a "7/32""
agraffe that had thread larger than . 212".   This may not seem like much, but is
sufficiently undersized so that the threads will strip if you try to torque
them as tightly as the ones that came out.  Jon Page saved me with some older
spares, which I had to use after two new ones stripped.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT