Pepsi Pinblock Dope?

justpianos@our.net.au justpianos@our.net.au
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:47:31 -0000

Recently called to a school hall Yamaha U1. Very tubby/dead bass end.
Apparently partial cup of coffee accidently fell into open top of piano.
On inspection I found sticky bass strings, pinplank and soundboard.
After carefully washing appropriate areas, including strings, and allowing to
thoroughly dry, I was able to wind an extra 2 turns on about 2 octaves of
bass strings, which totally improved the overall tonality.
The school had already obtained a quote on a full set of replacement bass
strings, and so were amazed at the reasonable price to greatly improve the
piano.
I don't doubt that they will need a bass restring in the future but the
school will probably dispose of the piano before this.
Bruce Browning-The Piano Tuner.