Steinway Agraffes

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:24:01 EST

HI  Ed
      All the 7/32 " replacement  agraffes out there from piano- tek,Steinway
or where ever are, I believe, of  German origin & none that I've measured are
the actual size of the originals  but slightly smaller as you say. We still
use them however & I've  cranked em sufficiently tight without ever a one being
stripped. We've installed  dozens of sets. I forget the amount smaller that
they are and I was alarmed  at first However I feel more secure installing
these than reusing old ones which  I have had broken ones after the fact.
   Do you have a supplier with a true dimensioned  part? If so I'm all ears.
  Merry Christmas All
    Dale

Greetings,
That will be a 7/32" thread.   Be warned,  for some obscure reason, modern
agraffes of this  dimension are not cut to the full .218" thread.  I don't
know
why  this is so, but last year, I had an impossible time finding a "7/32""
agraffe that had thread larger than . 212".   This may not seem  like much,
but is
sufficiently undersized so that the threads will strip  if you try to torque
them as tightly as the ones that came out.  Jon  Page saved me with some
older
spares, which I had to use after two new  ones stripped.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com