Pepsi Pinblock Dope?

Richard Cromwell rcromwell1@msn.com
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 23:37:00 -0500

Thanks for the advice Don,

No I've never seen the piano before, the client just purchased the piano
from a relative not knowing that the relative's children accidentally dumped
the liquid into the piano (what appears to be years ago).  The children's
parents were also unaware of the accidental spillage!  The piano hasn't been
tuned in 4 years.

No the clients do not have the piano insured.

I was thinking of just replacing the block and restringing the entire
instrument in the process.

R.Cromwell

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Don
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 10:16 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Pepsi Pinblock Dope?

Hi Richard.

You don't say if you have seen the piano before. I.E. were the pins loose
and inconsistant before?

Do the clients have replacement value insurance on the piano? If so, go
that route and let this be some other persons problem.

My own experience includes a Yamaha C7 that had a bottle of beer spilled
over the pins and bass strings. The strings went dead of course, twisting
revitalized for a time--but the real solution was replacement. The pin
block didn't seem as even--and this was pre CA glue.

The piano now resides at Brandon University--so perhaps Mark Cramer could
"chime in" about it's current condition pinblock wise.

Failing replacement value insurance:

Clean up the mess

Treat the too tight pins with alcohol--not Denatured alcohol (it has oil in
it)--but what is sold in Ontaria as "ever clear"

treat the too loose pins with CA glue

Tune.

Sell them an Edwards String cover.

At 09:57 PM 21/12/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>1990ish Young Chang G150.
>Clients' children took it upon themselves to "dope" the pinblock above the
>treble break with a can of pepsi.  About 20 tuning pins, string coils and
>plate bushings are caked in hardened black syrup.  From underneath you can
>see how the fluid crept along the top of the block and seeped through from
>about C4 up.  Some places look worse than other from underneath.  The pin
>torque is inconsistent from pin to pin from C4 up.  About 85%  of the pins
>are ok, 5% are questionable, and 10 % are either sticky and too tight or
>loose.
>
>What would you do?
>
>R.Cromwell

Regards,