Steinway Agraffes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:55:50 -0600

>     Along these lines , I have a Steinway M with several agraffes replaced
>(7/32) .
>     One has been replaced previously with a 1/4" agraffe,  has an incorrect
>profile above the plate and bunged up threads in the plate.
>     This is one of those do what you can and get out jobs, so and my
>question is this.
>     If the replacement agraffe is too loose in this plate,that is threads in
>but with out much brass in the iron,  could I epoxy or CA the bugger in ?
>     I'm suspecting that the upward force would make this questionable, and
>Joe G.  will put up a stink if he's the poor guy who try's to get this thing
>out, but your opinions as always appreciated,
>     Tom Driscoll

Abandon all thoughts of CA for metal work (unless it's Loctite). Like Guy
said, JB Weld would likely work, and if you Protek or McLube the agraffe
threads first, Joe might even be able to get the sucker back out again.
Doing a similar repair, I've drilled out the plate hole and tapped it for
5/16 NC (18), screwed in a threaded length of brass rod (flush to the spot
face), pre-drilled but not tapped for the agraffe, Loctited it in, and
tapped it for a 7/32 agraffe. I know that one's strong enough, doesn't
show, isn't that difficult, and would give Joe no problems.

Ron N