SawStop safety table saw

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 01:00:57 -0500

Sarah and list,
         I truly don't mean to burden this list too much with this topic
but this now begins to hit home. Your key phrase for me was the beginning
of your second paragraph. In your perfect world it seems that now once this
law is passed and all saws , used by more than the person who purchased it,
are required to have this new finger saving if not life saving device. Great!
         Suppose in a hypothetical world that I run a fledgling piano
rebuilding business where I can barely afford but need some part time help
to make my business work. In my world I can no longer do everything
necessary to run my business alone so I have to trust some , hopefully
adequately, trained help. OK, maybe this isn't hypothetical at all. Because
of my lack of superhuman qualities in personal time management I am unable
to build the bench I promised to a local school. I delegate this task to my
aforementioned help. I have seen this individual use my well outfitted and
properly maintained saw many times and this person is a careful and
conscientious person. What I hear you saying is that while they are trained
and understand the risks of running shop equipment I should be required to
provide this equipment on my saw. As mentioned by others this equipment
will break or malfunction like all equipment does from time to time causing
quite a bit of expenditure on my part. An expenditure I can little afford.
Who pays for this? Furthermore there are many other things around my shop
that could be dangerous. Where does it stop?
          How many things must a company provide for it's employees to
prevent even the minutest of possibilities? How many companies would be
left in business if all these mandatory requirements were in force? People
lament the loss of the mom and pop stores. Can you guess why they're all
but gone? Regulations are certainly part of it. Should we be providing any
prospective employee with a litany of papers to sign exempting us, the
employer, of any responsibility of injury or harm for working in a
potentially dangerous environment? Can't we just assume that when we pull
into McDonalds and get hot coffee at the drive through that it is indeed
hot and may burn us if it spills? In my view it's all gone quite a bit too
far.
         In summary, I believe that certain things should simply be
understood as common knowledge. Power tools carry risk. If you don't like
the risk don't work in a place that uses them. Nobody has a gun to your
head. If I as a cash rich (yeah right) employer want to install or retrofit
all my existing equipment with the latest and greatest in safety equipment
well and good. It may even help me to attract and keep good employees. If
not my employees should simply know and understand (because nobody is that
stupid) that any tool or any activity carries with it certain risks that
ultimately come down to their own responsibility. People do stupid things
sometimes. Why does it have to be someones' fault other than their own? I
can see your argument for safety. I'm all for it. Just don't run us all out
of business before you step down off that soapbox.

Greg Newell