square grand tuning: fun

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 08:53:56 -0500

> Last Friday I received an emergency tuning request for
> someone having a Christmas party and using an 1859
> Steinway square grand.  The pianist had just come to
> try it out and said it was really out of tune.

A square grand out of tune......? Hard to believe!!! =20
=20
> So, the owners called me and said they would pay
> whatever if I would come and tune it before the party.
 =20
Now this sounds like a good gig!
=20
> This was my first square to tune.  It had just been
> rebuilt and purchased from another state.  I took my
> daughter to play the keys.  That sort of worked.  It's
> hard to get someone else to play the keys and
> intervals like you want.

I can only imagine. Good time to get out the Verituner or some-such =
device.

>  The torque on the pins was
> off the scale.  I would think 200+, so, very hard to
> manipulate.  I hope those will loosen up with
> subsequent tunings.

Squares don't need tuning for at least 20 years, so the pins should be =
fine next time.....  ;-)

>   A couple of hammers grazed
> strings on adjacent notes and there wasn't time to fix
> those.
>=20
> All in all it was a very difficult job and the results
> were not anything I would want another tech to hear.

Ditto. That has generally been my experience - of course the few that I =
have tuned have all been 130 year-old, worn-out, rusty, crusty, =
delapitated heaps.

Sounds like you got the square grand bug!!!  ;-)