SawStop safety table saw

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 10:11:12 -0500

Hi Greg, James,

I was once in an auto accident, and my air bag, which I intentionally
purchased as an option on my car that cost me extra $$$, deployed.  I came
out of it with not a scratch on me.  In fact it all happened so fast, I
didn't even notice the thing had deployed until I was coughing from the dust
and saw the thing collapsed in front of me.  The energy-absorbing features
of my little Saturn had also worked just the way they were supposed to,
sacrificing themselves so that I could climb out of a perfectly intact
passenger cabin and walk away in perfect bodily condition.  Pictures of my
car were on the 11:00 news, as it was one of many in a huge pile-up.  I
cried after the accident, amazed that the safety features of my little car
had worked so well.  The next day, I wrote a letter of thanks to the
engineers at Saturn, then a new company/division, and I asked them why cars
didn't come with airbags for the passengers too.

My car was fairly new and was NOT totaled.  I could have it repaired any way
I wished, including choosing whether or not to install another airbag.
(They were still optional at that time.)  I didn't hesitate.  I quickly
shelled out the $1000 for a new air bag, rather than pocketing the extra
insurance money and opting for the $150 repair (a new steering wheel cover).
I suspect most people who have been saved from harm by an airbag replace the
things.  Of course if this were only a dollars and "sense" decision, and if
the airbag prevented me from knocking out a single tooth on the steering
wheel, then it payed for itself several times over.  (How recently have you
priced dental work?)

So, my friend, if/when that day comes that you grudgingly buy the table saw
that is $100 more expensive because of the mandatory safety feature, and you
let your mind and your fingers slip at the end of a very long, hard day, you
will breathe a huge sigh of relief when you hear a loud bang and notice a
tiny cut on your finger.  At that point, I'd love to hear back from you,
because I would bet good money that you will eagerly shell out $100 for a
replacement, rather than simply removing the safety device and running sans
protection.

Accidents, even dumb ones, happen to even the most conscientious of pros.
It's merely a question of when and how serious.

Have a happy and safe Christmas, everyone!  :-)

Peace,
Sarah