Piano Finder Fee

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:14:32 -0800

I would think that the time you spent on procurring this piano=
 would be your fee.

David I.

From: Terry <terry@farrellpiano.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Piano Finder Fee

I have been asked by a client of mine to find a good used piano=
 for their daughter. I am always happy to work with folks to get=
 rid of the junk and get a nice piano. The guy is willing to=
 spend up to the $3K to $4K range (maybe a nice used Yamy=
 upright). He appears to be the type of guy that simply doesn't=
 have the time to do it himself, but wants it to happen. He said=
 "find me a nice piano and I'll take care of you".

We didn't talk about any specifics.

So it seems apparent to me that he is willing to pay a finder's=
 fee if I find him a nice piano. I am aware that some dealers=
 will sell a piano for a private owner on consignment. I don't=
 know what percentage is typical. I sold two bicycles at two=
 different stores for a 25% consignment fee. I have a third at=
 another store that will charge a 15% consignment fee. What kind=
 of consignment fees do stores charge for a piano sold on=
 consignment. Is that any basis for a finder's fee?

Has anyone done this sort of thing for a third party? How did it=
 work. What were the financial arrangements?

Thanks.

Terry Farrell