why sell maintenance the customer won't notice?

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 06:55:57 -0600

Avery:

The piano was really not in bad shape.  Let-off could have been a little
closer, the hammer line tweaked a tiny bit, but it was ok.  This was a
piano owned by a Music Teacher's Association.  No one teacher used it
for teaching.  They all used it for recitals.  Consequently the voicing
had to be pretty medium and not optimized for any one person.  I could
see no real noticeable improvement that they would see for $xxx amount.
If you voiced it, some would think it better while others would think it
worse.

Whenever I have had to do a "group" piano like that I have insisted on
the designation of one person who would make the voicing call for them.
Sometimes there is one person who has that kind of stature that everyone
respects.  "If it is ok with ___ then it's ok with me."  If there isn't
that one person I usually explain my predicament and decline the work or
tell them that I'll voice etc. to a "medium" value where the goal is at
least not to irritate anyone too badly.

Here at the school it's kind of the same thing.  In our principal
recital hall I keep one of the pianos voiced for general recital kind of
work, and the other more for concerto work - a bright one and a more
subdued one.  I love to get comments from everyone, but I can't expect
to make everyone supremely happy.  Preferences vary a lot!

dave