Steinway aggraffes

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:47:06 -0800

Terry queried: "With an agraffe turning tool and what type of 300-ft-ton =
hydraulic power =3D
driver? My understanding is that folks were talking about applying epoxy =
=3D
to the threads and then screwing the agraffe in. Are you suggesting that =
=3D
this wonder epoxy will allow you to easily unscrew the agraffe =3D
afterwards?"

Terry,
There's two ways to do this. One is swab some epoxy on the threads and =
"screw" it in. Not my way!  I did it that way once, never again! (Don't =
even ask!~) I prefer to coat the threads, of the aggraffe, with Emralon =
and coat the plate hole/threads with epoxy. Once the epoxy has "just" =
set, I like to remove the aggraffe and check the whole thing. I =
re-install the aggraffe when the epoxy has reached it's maximum set. =
Yeah, it's time consuming, but it's the best way I've found to do this =
kind of repair.
As for retapping a 7/32" to a 1/4", I guess that's o.k., as long as they =
are the same style of aggraffe. Sometimes that isn't even a =
consideration. However, the original part of this thread was in regard =
to a Steinway, so I'd be a bit more fussy about the asthetics.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I