was year end/now low end pianos

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:56:04 EST

In a message dated  12/28/04 1:14:41 PM, tcole@cruzio.com writes
  Hi Tom S
  In fairness for quotes Tom Cole did not write the below  quote but it was
me.
  I like your post though because for this is the very  thing that makes a
person more money in the field  ,gives a better product  to the client & allows
less driving plus decreases the amount of over  all tunings per day by
increasing income
  My Dad always taught us to do more than just  tune.  He was/is a student of
Braid Whites & when he or  I would be out in the field we routinely reset
hammer blow  distance,  loss motion & let off. The 3 major action  adjustments
that seem to be routinely neglected by so many rushing thru the  obligitory 4 o
5 tunings that day . However, as we all know ,make  such an improvement to
even novice players. This with a bit of voicing etc and  the pianos always sound
& play better.
  My quote below comes from the desire to create my own  sounds which I have
more control of via rebuilding & the fact that I didn't  care much for the way
most pianos sounded to my ear in the field. I also  don't tolerate massive
amounts of DBs well or driving
  It's just a different life choice , philosophy,  physiology & neither has a
,one is a better choice than the other  connotation attached to it. Just a
preference for one kind of job over the one I  had.
  I enjoy tuning on a smaller scale & making people  happy with the results
of my labor as you do just in a different  way.
  Blessings & good New Year to all
   Dale Erwin

I wrote

Yes the low end needs service too but attending to it is  no longer a choice
I wish to make
        Dale Erwin
 Ps Its my experience that Most people do not wish to own or pay for a
Steinway. But they like the sound just the same

I look forward to the day that my  schedule is busy enough that I can turn
away business of any kind.   On the other hand, I'm not sure that I'll ever
discriminate against  those who can't afford a Steinway.

I have often been told  that I made that spinet sound better than it ever
has.  Whereas I'm  unable to take compliments too seriously, especially from the
uninformed  public, in this case, I believe them, because I take a little
extra time to  try to make that piano sound like a piano.  I always do one extra
pass,  after I'm completely done tuning their false-beat plagued piano, to
listen to  each unison and I always find a few that can be cleaned up.   I call
it a "spinet pass" and I can't tell you what a difference this makes.  I  work
a little harder because it's difficult for me to get up and walk away  from a
piano until I am satisfied that it sounds as good as it possibly  can.

My attitude regarding the low end piano is the antithesis of a  comment I
read here on the list a few years ago: "I put a timer on the piano  and when 45
minutes passes, the piano is tuned."

Yes, it's harder  to tune that beast, but I think no one would argue the fact
that we tuners  offer service to people.  Some people own Steinways.  Some
people  own other pianos.

Tom Sivak
Chicago PTG  Associate