Tuning Levers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:44:44 -0600

>Thanks, Ron; I guess I did think titanium was stronger.  So it depends
>whether you measure by volume or by weight...

The modulus of elasticity of titanium is somewhat less than half that of
steel, so for a titanium bar to have the same stiffness as a steel bar 1"
in diameter, it would have to be 1.2" in diameter, or thereabouts, but
would weigh only 80% what the steel does. With the titanium bar at a bit
over 1.3", it would weigh the same as the steel, but be about 35% stiffer.

Some more of life's little trade-offs.

Ron N