Tuning Levers & Convention Warning

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 Dec 2004 18:42:45 -0600

I have 4:

1. Wonderball (Saucier's product) with 15 degree head which I really like.
It is light, strong, and easy to move one-handed between pins. But ... The
head tends to loosen and must be 'spun' back on with a flick of the wrist,
from time to time, and it's a little too flexible for some
pins/pianos/situations.

2. Jahn Ball-Handle (Pianotek sells 'em) with a 5 degree head. I like this
one a bunch, too. I like the ball end because I don't like tuning
side-saddle, i.e., with a traditional hammer: The wrist positions just don't
feel natural and comfortable, to me. This hammer is very rigid, extendible,
heavy/solid feeling, and you can reverse the head to give yourself about an
inch more height for grands, etc. Downsides: I think I'll be ordering the 15
degree head as clearance with the tops of big old uprights is sometimes a
problem. You can order the 15 degree head with the hammer--but I was curious
as to how a 5 degree head would be ... Oh, well.

3. A 'student' hammer (came with the Randy Potter School of Witchcraft &
Piano Technology). I don't tune with this but I hang on to it for one use:
when you get a reeeeeally tight pin (like the time I got overly enthusiastic
in doing a sandpaper shim, couldn't tune it and barely got it out!) this
hammer can produce considerable counter-clockwise torque without a head or
tip coming loose.

4. A short extension hammer (Schaff) which I bought on a random impulse that
I do not now remember or understand anyone want it cheap? Actually, I use it
in restringing and coil making as it does give you nice control close in to
the work.

And therein lies the warning: You go around to those booths and you
WILL--unless you are very unlike me--buy stuff you don't really need and may
have to explain to a spouse (or yourself in quiet moments of "what the hell
did I do that for" reflection). Ha! You have been warned. See you at all the
booths, my credit card is already humming with excitement ...

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO